East-West Highway, Algeria
Providing Strength for Algeria's Infrastructure
One of the world’s largest public construction projects in 2009 was supported by a wide range of BASF solutions and products: the new East-West Highway in Algeria, a six-lane highway with a total length of 1,216 kilometers which runs through eleven tunnels and across 25 viaducts from the Tunisian border in the east of Algeria to the Moroccan border in the west.
| Customer requirements:
|| Our solution:
- Meeting growing transportation needs and improving road safety
- A package of cost-efficient, high-performance and robust construction chemicals solutions
- Superplasticizers Glenium® 27 and Rheobuild® 850 for bridge construction
- Emaco® S 88C and Emaco® R 303 for concrete repairs
- Masterflex® and Masterseal® 550 for the waterproofing of tunnels
- MEYCO® SA 160, to help stabilize tunnels and slopes
- Concresive 1441, an adhesive for connecting precast concrete elements
- And several more products of BASF
- In addition, technical expertise and support on the site
The superplasticizers Glenium® 27 and Rheobuild® 850 were used to modify the concrete for bridge construction, while concrete repairs were carried out using Emaco® S88 C and Emaco® R303. Masterflex® waterstop tape and Masterseal® 550 were used for waterproofing the tunnels, Concresive® 1414 for connecting precast concrete parts and Flowcable® grout for fixing anchor bolts. Rheofinish® 202 provided a smooth surface for the precast concrete parts, and superplasticizers with air-entraining agents Microair® 120 and Microair® 111 along with the evaporation protection agent Masterkure® 106 secured a high level of concrete quality. MEYCO® SA 160, an alkali-free accelerator for sprayed concrete, helped stabilize tunnels and slopes.